Dudes, it has been nearly a month since I posted. Apologies, I'm not dead or anything. Honestly it's a combination of a fairly bullshit filled realworld existence right now - I've been pretty stressed out. Haven't even been vidding, though I have some collab work that'll hopefully ease me back into it. Plus there's just not been that much going on in the world of the livejournals; no telly to discuss during hiatus season, no one releasing any vids cus we're like a month out from VVC. It's summer, we're all too hot, too cranky and too sleepy, right? ;)
So, I did the obvious, and while everyone on my flist fell for My Little Pony as their happy animated stressfree escapism, I decided to get around to watching all those DC universe animated flicks they've been churning out for a few years now that I've been meaning to watch forever
. Partly it was sparked by the DC reboot announcement, partly because - before the reboot was even announced, though it was nifty timing - we finally got back to our actual weekly Sunday DC-universe RPG game. We'd been playing with the Mutants & Masterminds rules way back, but now, with the actual licensed DC rulebook with all the licensed art, even with minimal rules changes, it feels all glossy and shiny, and it's kinda cool to actually get to look in the back of the book and see how you stack up against Superman. (Hint: poorly... :p)
So anyways, here's the lowdown on me and comics. DC comics specifically. ( Epic, indulgent talking about DC Comics being Like Modern Myths and how I Probably Don't Read 'Em Like I Oughta )
I'm...slowly being convinced that maybe I should engage with it a little bit more actively, the way it was originally intended. Maybe with this new DC reboot, I should dip my toe in the water and see and pick up some books on a monthly basis and see how it goes. ( DC Animated Movies and why I won't let myself talk that much about Wonder Woman...yet. )
And now I'm back to trying to find that Supergirl and the Legion novel I know I have lying around that I never got around to finishing (because let's face it, I love the Legion for their tacky 50s/80s mish-mash of weird Peter Pan hope and stupidity, but I wasn't enormously taken with the writing quality of Kara's first few adventures with them).
And I'm considering which comics to get come September. My husband is also interested in picking some up and there are quite a few we're both interested in, so we're agreed on seven right now. We don't wanna pick up too many - who knows if I'll even have a job by then, but ten doesn't seem excessive so there are about three open slots on the potential roster if anyone (okay, it ain't like I have a bunch of comic fans on my flist, but you never know!) has any suggestions:
In the order I randomly remember them: ( The 7 titles we plan to grab. )
You may notice that we're not picking up Superman (whom I love) or Batman (whom K loves). Can't really explain why other than to point back to that stuff about mythic figures, etc. Superman is probably my alltime favourite hero, but I often find it hard to connect to him in a monthly series; I think the thing is, he's really hard to write for because he's pretty perfect, and Batman kind of has the opposite problem, it's too easy to turn him into an angst-muffin or a psycho. Either way they aren't characters I guess we feel the need to read about monthly to excitedly find out more about them.
Aaaaaaand, that's my line-up. Any pitches for additions/subtractions?
(It does occur to me if I'd posted this in smaller chunks over the course of the months, it would be kinder to everyone. OH WELL. Don't worry flist, I really do know that 95% of you have no idea what I'm talking about and the other 5% are probably busy. But it was fun to actually write out the reasons I like DC cus I've never done that before, and I do so love to list
stuff. Anyway, ♥ to you all!)